Otak-otak is widely well-known in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. In Indonesia, it is originated from Palembang, South Sumatra. In Palembang, people eat otak-otak with cuko (Palembangese spicy tamarind sauce). While in Jakarta, they enjoy it with spicy peanut sauce.O tak-otak is made by mixing fish paste (usually mackerel) with a mixture of spices. Now, I would like to share otak-otak recipe with peanut sauce from Jakarta.
Ingredients for otak-otak:
- 500 gr Spanish Mackerel, ground
- 4 spoon sago
- 4 shallot, ground
- 4 cloves garlic, ground
- 1 egg
- 1000 cc coconut milk
- 1/2 tablespoon white pepper
- salt to taste
- sugar to taste
Banana leaves for wrapping, cut into 6×6 inch rectangles or you can use aluminium foil.
Ingredients for the peanut sauce:
- 3 spoon oh peanuts, fried, chopped into small pieces
- 4 cloves garlic
- 5 chili
- 2 spoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- 10 spoon water
- salt and sugar to taste
- mix well the otak-otak ingredients into a bowl.
- put it into the banana leaves fold it over and secure with wooden toothpick at each end to form a rectangular shape.
- if using aluminium foil simply cover and fold up side to seal the package.
- Grill the otak-otak above med hot charcoal for about 3-5 minutes per side, you can open one for check if it is done.
- mix all the peanut sauce ingredients using food processor or using mortar and fried for 2-3 minutes.
- serve the otak-otak hot or warm with peanut sauce.