Tips how to make delicious Rendang
Rendang is much better served if the meat is tender. To tenderize the meat is simply boil the meat first about 30 minutes then tenderize it using tool meat tenderizer.
– 500 grams of beef tenderloin, cut into pieces
– 500 ml thick coconut milk
– 1000 ml light coconut milk
– 2 sticks lemongrass, crushed
– 5 pieces Kaffir lime leaves
– 1 sheet of turmeric leaves, torn it
– star anise 2 pieces
– 5 table spoons cooking oil
– 250 grams Red chilli
– 4 cloves garlic
– 10 grains of onion
– 1 cm Ginger
– 2 cm turmeric
– 4 cm Galangal
– Salt to taste
– Sugar/palm sugar to taste
- Chop the spice paste ingredients and then blend it in a food processor until fine.
- Heat the oil in a stew pot, add the blended spice paste and star anise then stir-fry them until aromatic.
- Add the beef and the pounded lemongrass and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the light coconut milk simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently until the meat is almost cooked.
- Add the kaffir lime leaves, turmeric leaves, sugar/palm sugar, stirring to blend well with the meat.
- Lower the heat to low, add thick coconut milk, stir it well then cover the lid, and simmer for 1 – 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is really tender and the gravy has dried up (until the color is brown and greasy).
- Add salt to taste. If not sweet enough, add more sugar to taste.
- Ready to serve. Served it with steamed rice.